Sunday, May 13, 2012

Movie Review: The Avengers


Words. Words can't describe how much I loved this movie. The first time I saw The Avengers, I quietly muttered, "Joss Whedon...I love you," under my breath as the credits rolled. I say, the first time because I saw The Avengers TWICE last weekend. Yes, I was on the frontlines of geekdom on the film's opening night at the Arclight in Pasadena. The theater was like a giant club house. We hollered, laughed and sat awestruck with mouths aghast (at least, I did!) over the miracle that unfolded before our eyes. That was the first screening.

20 year dream come true!
Round two happened the next night, i.e. Saturday...less than 24 hours later, with my girlfriend at our local movie theater. She's become quite familiar with the Marvel universe after having viewed all the previous Marvel films leading up to The Avengers (plus years of listening to my geeky rants about mutants, Celestials and Thor kicking Superman's ass) but even if she wasn't tainted by my Marvel fanboy-ism, like our friend who came along and had never seen any of the other films before, they both loved it! Not only is this the pinnacle of comic book movies, it's also a totally rad summer popcorn blockbuster that doesn't blatantly insult your intelligence (take that Michael Bay!).

So the movie, it's amazing. Joss Whedon's script and direction are superb. The film's pacing is exhausting but in a good way. I'm sure you've all seen snippets of commercials for movies that say "So and so from the Daily Bugle calls it, 'a nonstop thrill ride!" Well, that's how The Avenger's is. Whedon's film is a legitimate nonstop thrill ride. It's the fastest 2 hours and 15 minutes of your life, trust me. Not only is the action and special effects mind bogglingly awesome, but The Avenger's is also one of the funniest movies I've seen in ages. There are several L-O-L moments throughout the film that had the entire audience in stitches.


Of course something must be said about the cast. They're phenomenal. All of them. Even Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner (as Black Widow and Hawkeye) who did jack shit with their roles in Iron Man 2 and Thor, even they brought it home with their performances in The Avengers. All praises due to my boy Loki! Again, after stealing the show in Thor he's like super smooth evil asshole perfection in The Avengers. Also, The Hulk....never has he been more awesome than in this movie. NEVER!

Hands down, the raddest movie of the year. I don't care how great The Dark Knight Rises might be, nothing compares to the 20 year nerd-gasm I had watching The Avengers (twice!). 

15 comments:

  1. Can't say I can disagree with you what so ever, best movie I have seen in a long long long time and yep nerd gasm was had at my shores as well. Whedon was the perfect man for the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard nothing but awesome things about this movie and I will have to see it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I think this iss a movie for people who HAVE waited 20 years for it. I liked the movie, saw it a few days ago, but it was so ridiculously hyped that I swore it would be better. To ME? It didn't top The Dark Knight or even Iron Man 1 (though it was close). It was a good hero movie in a sea of mediocre ones, but I felt after watching it that there was too much hype. And with this post and your nerg-gasm? I just think it's something similar to you to what seeing Daft Punk live would be to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we need to get our boxing gloves on, next to Drive this is the next movie where I have opinion contrast to yours.
    http://meandmythinkingcap.blogspot.com/2012/05/avengers-movie-review.html

    I would love to volunteer and sponsor you and Patt ticket to Mars. Maybe I need one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, The Avengers is a good reminder of what movies are all about: entertainment. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah, I was so close to watching this movie tonight, but ran out of time at the last minute. Soon... SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty pleased that you enjoyed the Avengers so much you went to watch it twice buddy. I'm such a huge Marvel fanboy I have never watched the most recent Batman film and don't plan on watching the one that's coming out soon. Spider Man's reboot is a different story though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Avengers is an awesome movie, great review as always!
    Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really is a quick 2+ hour movie. Near the end I checked my watch and my eye lids got pretty wide

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first movie I have ever wanted to see more than once. EPIC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! This isn't my usual type of movie but the reviews have been so good from so many different people I know I'm gonna have to check it out.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fantastic! This write up has me KNOWING I'll like the movie when I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks great - has awesome reviews...I just have to convince the wife to come and see it with me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The uses to which The Hulk is put throughout this movie was a pleasant surprise, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete