Tuesday, July 9, 2013

R.I.P. My friend

Gary (middle) and friends/co-workers in action.
 Last week a friend of mine passed away after a two year battle with cancer. His name was Gary and he would have turned 21 this year. I met Gary through work, he was a fresh faced new hire that brightened everyone's day. He was literally, a kid, out of high school starting college, entering the workforce and looking forward to a long and fruitful adult live. Unfortunately, out of the damn blue, he was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in 2011 at the age of 19. I was one of Gary's supervisors, responsible for his training and development at work. I can honestly say that he was one of the most positive and optimistic people I have ever met. He didn't smoke or do drugs, he was athletic, an avid church goer, had a long term girlfriend and unlike most people (jaded/cynical assholes like myself) he actually liked being at work. The bravery he displayed these past two years, in the face of countless treatments and surgeries, is truly inspiring. Why a great human being like Gary had to leave this world so prematurely is something I'll never understand. His funeral is tomorrow.

Here is song I've been listening to a lot lately that feels strangely appropriate. It's simultaneously beautiful and tragic and I wish it would go forever but alas...

4 comments:

  1. Damn man, just damn. I re-read this post listening to the music and I'm so moved, I'm so sorry to hear about your buddy's passing mate although that doesn't change anything. I swear cancer is such a bitch, life can sometimes be such a bitch. While people sit around all day smoking pot and never working, abusing their bodies in a reckless way yet they're fine and a lovely and amazing young gent who absolutely adores life who lost his way too quickly, it's a cruel world man. Really sorry to his girlfriend and family especially, must be so difficult for them right now, rest in peace Gary, will be thinking about you ahead of the funeral tomorrow buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry. It seems once again, we've lost one of the good ones. Positive influences in society that leave us because nature said so.

    My best wishes to you and the rest of his friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest in peace. You will be missed. :(

    ReplyDelete