Sunday, January 9, 2011

Top 5 Films of 2010

So here's my top 5 favorite films of 2010. I usually like to gauge my favorites by story/plot (the more bizarre the better!), acting performance then technical stuff like cinematography, special effects, camera shots, etc. The most important thing however, is how long each film stayed with me after...or how long until I could stop thinking about what I had just saw. Interesting note, I saw four of these movies twice in the theater.

Black Swan- directed by Darren Aronofsky
This is the movie that best embodies all the criteria listed above. From the insane story arch, great acting and most of all, Aronofsky's use of handheld cameras during the dance sequences, Black Swan ruled 2010.

The Social Network- directed by David Fincher
In my original review of The Social Network I said: "Is this my favorite film of the year? Definitely not. Is it a damn good movie worth seeing? Yes." Well, I'm now comfortable removing the "definitely not" line and replacing it with "almost." The plot is interesting but kind of "eh," it's everything else about this movie that's amazing.

The Fighter- directed by David O. Russel
Christian Bale. Christian fuckin' Bale. Dude steals the show, brings the house down, knocks it out of the park, etc etc. He and Amy Adams are bound to be nominated (and damn well better win) for Best Supporting Actor/Actress for their roles in The Fighter. Watching these two on screen is worth the price of admission alone.

Toy Story 3- directed by Lee. Unkrich
I swear until the Oscar buzz movie blitz took place in Nov., Toy Story 3 was my favorite film of the year. Black Swan was the only other film to leave me as drained as Woody and Buzz Lightyear's last hurray on the big screen. I like to consider myself a pretty desensitized bastard, but I'm not afraid to admit Toy Story 3 had me damn close to tears, TWICE. Nostalgia aside, it's still a damn fine escape/chase movie.

Inception- directed by Christopher Nolan
Nolan's steps up his usual cinematic mind-fuckery to a whole new level. This film makes his earlier head scratchers like Memento and The Prestige  seem as simplistic as a Dumb and Dumber. Too bad the film's style (amazing visuals and score) overshadows some of the film's substance (some wooden performances...Rubik's cube plot). Despite this, it's still a must see, jaw dropping film.

20 comments:

  1. Black Swan is something I'd like to see. Darren Aronofsky, I admit, is probably the main reason why I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you didn't cry during the end of toy story 3 then you are either too young to have watched/remembered the first one or you are just a complete asshat with not emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to have my girlfriend explain to me what black swan was about, i could not get a thing out of the trailer they ran here. i was completely dumbfounded, and that never happens with movies so it was never on my to watch list. i will definitely catch it though, after learning more.

    I could afford to watch Inception a few more times to completely get everything said in the movie.

    Toy Story 3 was amazing, just like every other Pixar film. It sucks only because they have so much to live up to! I'm fearful for the day when they make a "meh" movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah im gonna go check the fighter tonight

    ReplyDelete
  5. meh, I merely watched Inception, I'm not really into movies


    http://kind-of-informational.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inception was one of my favorite movies of 2010. I haven't seen the rest of the movies but they are on my to watch list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inception was enjoyable. So-so on the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll agree with Toy Story and Inception...

    ReplyDelete
  9. inception was definitely my favorite for the year... toy story 3 was depressing

    ReplyDelete
  10. saw fighter and inception...lookin forward to The Social Network

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah these films were incredible but if it were my list id definately include tron!

    ReplyDelete
  12. fantastic list, agree completely. following

    ReplyDelete
  13. love inception, haven't seen the others. black swan is up next.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you're missing the top movie this year in my opinion.
    'True Grit' now THAT was an amazing movie worth mentioning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. a-team should be #1 on every list. that movie pwnd

    ReplyDelete
  16. Only watched Inception... shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice list, Inception is great movie

    ReplyDelete