Friday, July 13, 2012

under-covers: Bruce Spingsteen/ Tegan and Sara

Perhaps, one of the greatest guilty pleasures in my life: the perverse enjoyment I get listening to musicians covering other artist's songs. The weirder the cover, the better! It doesn't matter how awkward or horrible the quality (shitty cell phone video, I'm looking at you), I'm an absolute sucker for this stuff. Here's the latest installment of "under-covers."

I'm not the hugest Bruce Springsteen fan in the world but it's safe to say this is perhaps one of the catchiest songs ever written. It's damn near impossible for me to not get stoked when I hear this tune. Like a dog perking up and chasing a tennis ball across the grass, there's something in this song's DNA that brings me to life.

Oh Haiii Courtney Cox. Didn't see you dancing there.

So here is Tegan and Sara's stripped down acoustic version:

That cover is just so raw and sincere. It really brings the lyrics back to the forefront of the song (they're hard to zero in on with all that 80's synth booming over them). Something about Sara's voice also makes me zone out like Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off at the museum.

I don't know what to do in this case. I love the original version because it's so snappy and inspiring, yet Tegan & Sara's version has literally breathed new life into the song (well for me at least) with it's painfully honest approach. What do you folks think?

10 comments:

  1. I actually really like this cover man, way more than I thought I would but Bruce Springsteen wrote the original and gave it raw emotion in those vocals and I honestly can't say that the cover wins although I'm not saying it's bad, it's probably the best cover of the song that you can find out there I reckon, although I haven't really looked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm I can't really choose. I think it sounded good as an acoustic version but the real version makes you want to get up and actually dance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great cover. Delicious. Then again, I'm not the biggest 80's fan at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. But I hate Dancing in the Dark. But I like that cover. A conundrum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's not the 80's synth that makes the lyrics hard to catch, just the way Bruce sings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's not bad at all from the girls, wasn't there another version of this song by a group called Big Daddy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really love covers too man. i wonder why rap artist dont cover other rap artist. hmm

    Google+ Cheat Sheet

    ReplyDelete
  8. my favorite twin lesbians :3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm kind of indifferent to T&S in general but agree about the irresistible infectiousness of the original. I'm kind of the same way about covers, and also if two artists I admire are fans of each other I find that fascinating for some reason. And also if two artists I admire hate each other, like in the case of Morrissey and Robert Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally zoning out with the song too. lol.

    ReplyDelete