Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Kubrick Exhibit @ LACMA

I kicked off the new year with a long overdue trip to The Los Angeles County Museum of Art to check out the Stanley Kubrick exhibition. The exhibit pays tribute to the late film maker's entire career. From his early days as a photographer for Look magazine, his first foray into film making with his short/documentary film, 1951's Day of the Fight; and of course his classic film's like Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove..., 2001: A Space Odyssey  and The Shining to name a few.

 photo IMG_1129_zps429d63c6.jpg

 photo IMG_1094_zps2c870e88.jpgFull Metal Jacket was the first Kubrick film I ever saw. I must have been in 8th grade and was on a serious war film binge after Saving Private Ryan came out. I was sorting through my grandpa's VHS collection looking for some new war/action film to watch and saw the oddball cover of Full Metal Jacket. The white background, the cartoon-ish looking helmet that says "Born to Kill" but has a peace button right along side it. I had a feeling this wasn't going to be like the average Vietnam flick. Other than that, I had no idea what I was in for. That's when I fell under Kubrick's spell.

Here are some photo's from the exhibit. Forgive the poor quality. I was recovering from a nasty illness and was spellbound.

 photo IMG_1123_zps9dadf0e5.jpg
German Dr. Strangelove poster with the uber sexy Tracey Reed
 photo IMG_1097_zps49c0eeeb.jpg
2001: apes gonna ape

 photo IMG_1099_zps95c43d64.jpg
 photo IMG_1101_zps5397443d.jpg
A Clockwork Orange: Alex's costume and a milk bar statue.

 photo IMG_1105_zpsb9edf016.jpg
 photo IMG_1111_zpse1eca6b8.jpg
The Shining: creepy ghost twins
 photo IMG_1117_zps171736e7.jpg

 photo IMG_1116_zps73ea69c8.jpg
Full Metal Jacket: Animal Mother looking raw onset & Joker's helmet below
 photo IMG_1114_zps88caa4ec.jpg
Eyes Wide Shut: orgy masks for all...

 photo Image2_zps012fc406.jpg
self explanatory

 photo IMG_1126_zpseac4d63c.jpg
Lil' ol' me hanging out w/ Alex, Jack and Joker.
It's safe to say that Stanley Kubrick was one of the greatest filmmakers of all time. He was more than just a director, he was a visionary. His films were never huge box office smashes and he never won a major Academy Award (save for 2001's special effect's win) yet here we are, with a globe trotting exhibition housed at world renowned museums paying tribute to his legacy. Kubrick was so ahead of his time, it's almost as though he made his films for himself and for future generations to enjoy. Why else would such a secretive/reclusive individual who shunned Hollywood leave a literal warehouse of archival material behind after his death. Either way, I'm glad he did. This day at the museum was just what I needed to kick the pain in me gulliver. I was cured all right...

If you're in Southern California I seriously recommend you check this out. The Kubrick exhibit runs until late June 30th. LACMA is also just a rad place to visit in general.

7 comments:

  1. Stanley Kubrick in my opinion was an absolute visionary and I adore his films so this exhibit seems like something that was truly worth checking out, glad to hear you enjoyed it my man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look like some pretty awesome stuff. I thought Clockwork Orange did pretty well though. I know it's a classic at least. I didn't really recognise the name Kubrick, but I do know most of those movies. The guy behind them was a certifiable genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Kubrick is one of my favorite directors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The A Clockwork Orange stuff is my favorite - I've seen that movie far too many times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, he's never won any awards or nominations besides just that one?

    What the hell is going on?

    ReplyDelete