Friday, December 31, 2010

Faith No More @ The Palladium, Hollywood. 11/30/10.


I was too young to appreciate Faith No More during their heyday in the late 80's/early 90's. I remember watching their video for "Epic" as a little kid and getting freaked out by the dying fish but that's about it. Flash forward to the mid 00's and a lot of my favorite mind fuck metal bands cite Faith No More as huge influences. The Dillinger Escape Plan's EP with Mike Patton is one of my favorite records ever. Needless to say, I did my homework and fell in love with Faith No More for myself. This short lived reunion after their 13 year hiatus/breakup/exile was an event I couldn't miss!

she had some moves!
The sold out venue waited for FNM to come out for what seemed like forever. No really, we waited HOURS. One of the opening bands was forced to back out so we got stuck standing around for a looong time. They had a midget comedian lady and some creepy magician come out and try to hold us over inbetween the first opening band the the eternity before FNM came onstage. Luckily, that first opening act was good...damn good. San Diego's The Creepy Creeps play a kind 60's psychedelic surf rock on acid that cannot be stopped. The dudes wore matching polyester tuxedos, masks and shaggy Ramones wigs. The icing on the cake were the go-go dancers they had on stage. The brunette near my side of the stage literally stole my soul with her dance moves. I honestly can't wait to see The Creepy Creeps again.

Get. That. Dirt off ya shoulder.
So after waiting a fortnight for them to rock our world's, Faith No More reunited before our eyes....playing Peaches and Herb's "Reunited" as their opening song. They immediately followed with "From Out of Nowhere" which turned The Palladium into a warzone. Really, I've been to tons of death metal shows and dealt with kung-fu fighting hardcore dancers in my time, but those all paled in comparison to the army of hyped up mid to late thirty year old's reliving their youth by moshing their balls off during Faith No More's reunion. Seriously, it was a sight to be seen. Watching the band rip through classics like "Caffeine," "Surprise You're Dead," and "We Care A Lot" was awesome, but rare songs like "Everything Ruined," and "Spirit" were even more special. The band's stage banter was hilarious, w/ Roddy Bottum rambling on and on about how old he is and Mike Patton speaking spanglish to the crowd and encouraging people to spit on him.



Speaking of Patton, holy Jesus his voice sounded amazingly strong. Stronger than any youtube clips had lead me to believe. The dude was belting shit out with some power. Especially during their oh so cheesy but always appreciated cover songs, like The Commodores "Easy," Burt Bacharach's "This Guys's in Love With You" and as you'll see in this clip, The Bee Gees' "I Started a Joke."


So the show was amazing. Yeah, I wished they didn't play so much material from their final record, Album of the Year since I'm pretty 'eh" about those songs; and wish they had played "The Real Thing" or "Zombie Eaters" or "Land of Sunshine" or....but overall, they still slayed! I'm glad I finally got to see the mighty Faith No More in concert. Hopefully they don't call it quits forever. One more thing, Mike Bordin aka "Puffy" may be rocking grey haired dreadlocks these days, but the dude still beats the hell out of his drums!

16 comments:

  1. I was a bit young for them too, but looking back they are a real influence on a lot of modern bands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith No More, Sold Out.
    Cooperlife's new year wish came true.
    Hope yours do too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw them at Irvine Meadows in early 90 something, opening for Metallica, and they literally got booed off the stage. Cut it short and took off. They opened with Epic and the crowd hated them instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they came to the soundwave festival in australia. unfortunately, i missed out on catching them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is one greast show

    happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  6. i missed them in their heyday. they still sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. these gentlemen in your background have awesome gas masks...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I'm happy for you! I LOVE live music especially when it's a musician that holds personal meaning! Happy new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! I'm glad they're still playing shows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not I group that I love but they do have pretty good songs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha Faith No More. I saw the first picture and the video for epic popped in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool stuff. Haven't heard Faith No More for some time now.

    ReplyDelete