Sunday, May 22, 2011

Movie Review: Thor

FINALLY!
Thank you Marvel. Thank you oh so much. This could have been bad. I'm not talking Fantastic Four bad. I'm talking Ghost Rider/Daredevil/X-Men Origins: Wolverine bad. It could have been so easy to mess this whole Thor project up. He's one of least likable/identifiable characters in the Marvel universe. He speaks in old timey English riddles half the time and is so powerful, an action movie about Thor could have been the equivalent of watching Michael Jordan play basketball against kids from the Special Olympics. But no! Marvel and director Kenneth Branagh did the impossible, they made an awesome Thor movie and did my favorite superhero justice on the big screen!

So yes. I'm a little biased. But my love for The Silver Surfer and Venom and didn't stop me from cringing at their appearances in big budget abortions either. Unabashed love for a character does not a good film make. Now onto the movie:

Thor (Chis Hemsworth) is the big man on campus in his native Asgard. He's all set to inherit the throne from his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) when he royally screws things up (haha, get it?). Odin casts Thor down to Earth, stripping him of his powers, in order to teach the arrogant Thunder God some humility. Of course there's some shady back door conspiracy stuff going on and before long Thor is needed to lay the smack down with his mighty hammer Mjolnir and save the day.

First, the film is visually stunning. Yes, a large portion of the movie takes place in a boring ass desert, but all the Asgard sequences inter cut throughout the film are flat out amazing. I loathe this current 3D trend in Hollywood, so I can only speak for the regular 2D version I saw, but yes, I was pleasantly surprised at how awesome the visuals for the film came together. From the costumes, to the CGI baddies to the rainbow fucking bridge! I mean, how easy would it have been to make the rainbow bridge look like a complete joke? Thank you Marvel. Thank You Kenneth.

like the comic come to life!

Loki- MVP
Kudos again to Mr. Branagh for assembling such a wonderful cast. Known for his dramatic/Shakespearean films, Branagh easily handles the grandiose aspects of Thor that might have crippled a lesser director, while bringing out impassioned performances from his actors, even when they're wearing eye patches, capes and standing amidst an obvious CGI overload. I honestly think Tom Hiddleston steals the entire movie with his twisted portrayal of Loki, Thor's devious brother aka, the God of Mischief.

I only have two real gripes with the film. My lovely Natalie Portman does her best playing Thor's love interest, but even an Academy Award winner like herself can't save a barely written role like this. Lastly, I wished they showed the full extent of Thor's powers! Yeah we saw him kicking some Frost Giant ass and eventually summoning up a nice little thunder storm, but the dude has Superman level strength and is capable of tossing tanks around like baseballs. I really hope we get to see Thor unleash his full potential in the Avengers movie.

TLDR:
Thor rules. Best comic book movie since Spider-Man 2.

28 comments:

  1. HMM! I never seen the trailer for it, but it looks good, I wanna see it now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what about the dark knight? you probably just meant marvel, if you so are correct!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still haven't seen it. Don't know if I am despite the awesome things I'v been hearing, mainly because I have no money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone's saying this is the best marvel movie ever, I'll have to see it asap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Motherf... There's a $4 screening of the movie a few blocks away from me and it starts in 3 minutes. I should go. I've been putting it off saying "just another comic book movie. F***.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dem visuals

    this is on my to-watch list

    ReplyDelete
  7. how dare you say something against natalie!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Want to watch this!!!! dont think they are in cinemas for me anymore =(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just saw it yesterday and I have no idea what that thing is at the end of the credits...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know why but I'd have preferred Kat Denning to be the love interest. She played her role with such humor and zeal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have yet to watch it. I haven't heard good things about it tbh. But I will most likely still end up watching it eventually anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks great, id love to see this sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still yet to see this, saw pirates and bridesmaids instead :/ I'm a nerd who has forsaken his roots. You did an excellent review and I look forward to the first chance I have to see this movie now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've stil yet to see this movie D:

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks an awesome film...still can't get my head around Kenneth Branagh directing it tho

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was a good movie, the pacing didn't feel right to me, but it was still pretty good. Better than most of the Marvel movies. I think they are learning from Iron Man's success.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't know if this was going to be good or not, now I really want to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i should check it out, but kinda wanna see hangover 2 first. wolf as fuck ftw

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to go see this movie dammit! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. seen it, thought it was a great movie

    ReplyDelete
  21. saw earlier. great movie, i agree with your review.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This movie was visually just sooo beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i agree with your wrap-up. the movie was entertaining and the effects were great... but natalie portman's role was so weak, it was almost like it was written for a newcomer to the acting world. they should have done better on that end.

    i still argue that loki was actually played by ice skating diva, johnny weir.

    ReplyDelete