Monday, October 8, 2012

Movie Review: Dredd

"Rookie, you ready?"
 Oh boy. I was not ready for Dredd. I had low expectations for this film to say the least. In fact I had no desire to see this movie. I mean, who would I? The main theatrical trailer looked like crap. The poster is even a ripoff of Ben Affleck's Daredevil movie. I generally hate Hollywood 3D gimmick crap, and really, who was even asking for this Dredd reboot anyways? Stallone pretty much murdered the character back in the 90's as far as I'm concerned. Diane Lane looked good doe.
Diane Lane: The only good thing about 90's Dredd
So I totally wrote this film off. Then I heard some good things online and read some praise worthy reviews. I decided, why not and gave Dredd a chance. Holy Fuck it was entertaining 10x. So much violence and carnage. I left the theater with the biggest smile on my face it was appalling.

Dredd doesn't try to overstep it's bounds as a film. It knows exactly what it is. You came here for mindless action and that's exactly what you get. This is why the film succeeds. Crap like plot and character development are thrown out the window. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) says like 50 words throughout the entire film and you never even see his face. He's got this smoking hot rookie partner (Olivia Thirlby...yes please!) and they don't force some lame Hollywood love interest subplot into the mix, Dredd doesn't want to get her naked, hell, he barely shakes her hand, he's all about the KILLING.


There are some great special effect shots in this movie. I didn't shell out the extra cash for 3D (and won't...unless it's Prometheus or Hugo) so I saw the regular version of Dredd but could still appreciate the visuals. There's a drug in the film that slows down people's perception of time  to 1% of real life, which leads to some awesome slow motion death sequences. I was kind of bummed that pretty much all the blood in the film was CGI but there's a shit load of it so I guess they tried to save money? I'm guessing they spent all their funds on the establishing shots of Mega-City and the Slo-Mo scenes, because other than those shots, most of the film is people running/dying in narrow hallways. I gotta admit I'm pretty impressed with the finished product though.

Low expectations yielded amazing results. In this film, the future may suck, but Dredd kicks some serious ass.

7 comments:

  1. Have a feeling the CGI blood is for the 3D version. I dunno, maybe I'll watch it if I feel like killing something within the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the 90's movie recently and actually really enjoyed it. I don't know really if I would want to watch this. The Dredd comics themselves aren't really 99.4% action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really have much hope for Dredd myself but the more I read positive glowing reviews like this the more tempted I am to see it, which is unexpected, this is a good review as usual buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3D is garbage, I'll never shell out the cash for it. But yeah heard tons of good things about this one and will surely be giving it a run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The low expectations has really helped this film. I'm still gonna see it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that immediately following the September 11 terror attacks Hollywood slowed down their production of gore fests. Apparently they're getting back on track.

    ReplyDelete