Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Movie Review: 127 Hours


wat do
Go see this movie. Really. It's in limited release but should begin playing in more theaters across the country soon. I had to drive down to Hollywood to catch Danny Boyle's latest film but man, I was NOT disappointed. The true story of hiker Aron Ralston's harrowing experience, trapped for five days with his arm pinned under a rock in Utah's Blue John Canyon, has been documented before, in Ralston's book, Between a Rock and a Hard Place, and various news specials and interviews since the incident in 2003 (like this MUST SEE clip). Spoilers aside, 127 Hours is still one of the best movies I've seen not only this year, but in recent memory. James Franco gives the performance of a lifetime, carrying the entire movie on his shoulders and delivering every step of the way. I know the thought of paying money to see one dude on screen for 90 minutes who eventually chops his arm off (not a spoiler if you clicked the links!) might sound retarded but Franco's stand out performance and Boyle's, literally, in your face direction is something that should not go unappreciated. I ran the gamut of emotions while watching this film. I laughed, I cringed, I almost shouted at the screen during the opening scene where he packs his gear, something I never usually do at home let alone the theater. I was frustrated by his predicament, outraged by his stupidity, in awe of his resourcefulness but most of all, inspired by his determination. I don't know if this film will have much replay value over time, but 127 Hours is something that everyone should see at least once in their lives.

23 comments:

  1. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I want to watcch it right now e__e

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long is the film? Not 127 hours I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like an interesting piece, will watch it for sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will def try to watch this one! Good post. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol so a guy gets stuck on a mountain for 127 hours?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn he get's his arm stuck! This guy is an inspiration I got to watch this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this film looks awesome and also... is it just me or does that clip look really colourful?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, I had figured it was going to be a dud, but it sounds like you liked it. Mabye I'll check it out

    ReplyDelete
  9. following your blog don't forget to follow mine...... this film is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember when the news was covering this, anyone who can cut off his own arm is hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ^^ what he said. Damn this looks like a pretty good flick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll prolly have to wait for DVD, none of the theaters within 3 hours of me show anything other than major mainstream releases. I finally saw "Restrepo" on Nat Geo Channel last night(one year after reading the book and 6 months after the theatrical release) and it did not disappoint. But no theaters around here bothered to screen it, I hate Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  13. try n impress a girl, and you get stuck between 2 rocks for 127 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. cool post dude thanks for all the support just supportan yuh back :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. I seriuosly want to watch this movie right now :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Any idea when it will come out in Europze?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember reading about this (the actual story, not about the movie) a while back. I've always been interested in stories of survival. So that along with me liking Danny Boyle and James Franco = definitely see. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The premise sounds insane. One dude on screen for 90 minutes does not seem that bad especially when considering what a classic 12 angry men was.

    ReplyDelete