Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Movie Review: Due Date

ABORT
I don't know why I do this to myself sometimes. The first time I saw the trailer for Due Date I chuckled slightly and thought, "I'll watch that on cable...one day." I knew right off the bat that this film was not up my alley. So what happens when you're with a group whose mob mentality creates stifling peer pressure? I ended up seeing Due Date that's what happened.

I'm going to make this review short and to the point. This movie isn't horrible. It just isn't very funny either. Yeah and I liked The Hangover, and sure this film stars Zach Galifianakis and was also directed by Todd Philips but lets be crystal clear, Due Date is no Hangover people. The Hangover was such a success because of its ensemble cast (where Galifianakis brought lots of laughs but ultimately shared the limelight with others) and its fill in the blank plot structure kept the audience actively engaged. Due Date has none of this. Instead we watch Galifianakis ham it up in "one trick pony" mode while Robert Downey Jr. stands around and collects a pay check. This odd couple/road trip formula has been done before with much better results. *ahem*

1987's Plains, Trains & Automobiles

1996's Kingpin

Lastly, I could not forgive the blatant The Big Lewbowski ripoff, where Galifianakis stores his father's ashes in a coffee can. C'mon Hollywood...are you trying to piss me off?

13 comments:

  1. I seriously couldn't want to watch this movie

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i've heard mixed reviews.. i'll probably just end up watching it because of zach galifianakis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you did with your blog. keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to watch this movie !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. I really like R.D. Jr. too, but that one movie he did as a black guy?... I couldn't watch it. Planes/Trains is still one of my all time favorite movies and yes I cry like a bitch every time i watch it. :) I saw Hangover and enjoyed it, but wouldn't pay for it and didn't think it was as good as the HUGE fuss that everyone made. Anyways, Still liked this post and hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow glad i found this post before seeing the movie. I'm following now.

    ReplyDelete