Thursday, October 6, 2011

X-MEN #1: 20th Anniversary

...And Time Begins
I was six years old when X-MEN #1 launched in the Fall of 1991. I remember having multiple copies of this issue and reading it constantly just about everywhere I went. 20 years later, my recollection of the story arch is vague (something about Magneto up to no good on Asteroid M) but the images from this issue are forever burned into my memory. Jim Lee's artwork is what did it. I had never seen anything this rad in my entire life. Sure, I was six, but man I simply could not wait for the next month's issue of X-MEN. Viewing Jim Lee's art was like a drug.

The X-MEN animated series began airing the next year.


My favorite comic book became my favorite cartoon show. I collected it all during this point. For the next 8 years I was an avid X-MEN fiend. I read both monthly X titles religiously, bought all the action figures (re: TOYS) and dropped whatever I was doing to watch the cartoon every time it was on TV. Lets not forget about the stacks of trading cards also. I eventually expanded beyond strictly X titles, exploring more of the Marvel Universe and a few DC and Image comics as well.

The early to mid-90's were fun times for young comic fans. There were a lot of us also, in fact, a little too many. See, I was apart of the comic book speculation crash of 1993. People forgot that old comics were valuable because they were rare. That X-MEN #1 sold over 8 million copies. Yes, MILLION. Needless to say, most of my X-MEN comics from the early to mid 90's are worthless. That is to say, monetarily worthless. There's nothing more valuable than getting a young child's imagination going.

94' Flair X-MEN cards. so much WIN
My girlfriend works with special ed. kids. They may have learning disabilities but these kids still love music, video games and yes, comic book superheroes. I gave her a box of at least 1,000 old Marvel trading cards to distribute amongst her classroom. She says the kids LOVE them. I'm also in the process of trying to donate a large (and damn heavy) box of comics to a local middle school's after school reading program. Reading comics as a kid helped expand my vocabulary/comprehension skills and undoubtedly made me a brighter student. Not to mention all the good guys VS. bad guys story lines subversively crafted a clear distinction between right and wrong in my head. I hope these kids get as much out of them as I did.

Of course I'm not getting rid of all my old comic books. Hell, I still have a box of 1st appearances & crossover/event issues from the 70's and 80's that are worth a few grand and I plan on holding on to those ones for a while longer! Then again, I didn't get into collecting comics for the money. I was 6 years old folks. No, I got into comic books because Jim Lee's damn amazing artwork and the insane fantasy world it sparked in my head.

90's attitude
So while X-MEN #1 is now 20 years old and essentially worthless (with copies available in quarter bins across the country) Marvel knows a good thing when it sees one and will commemorate the anniversary of this iconic book by reissuing X-MEN #1 with modern computer ink/coloring updates. I haven't bought a comic book in years...but I'm getting this!

X-MEN #1 2.0

24 comments:

  1. I am honest. I never enjoyed comics or books. But I enjoyed the X-Men movies very much, but harcore fans will prolly say those are lame. The comics looks really good tho. I love the picture at the bottom and see the artistic value to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fellow comic book like yourself so I absolutely love this post buddy, Jim Lee's artwork is awesome. Unlike you my favourite comic was always the Amazing Spider-Man, especially the classics, as in the first 400 comics of the Amazing Spider-Man, I loved reading those on my computer when I was younger. X-Men is awesome, and the animated series would too. Marvel rocks! Nice post man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (although you didn't ask) My favorite comic in my comicbook collection is my Superman #32 from 1945!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll probably be jealous, but I own Uncanny Xmen 94. Got it for 80 bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really sweet of you to donate your comics to schools in hopes of kids learning to read! This post warmed my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love pretty much anything X-Men, but at some point the comics started getting pretty weird, or maybe it was just all the spin off comics. Maybe their price will go up when X-Men ends next year. At least, I think it's supposed to be ending next year. I haven't read that many of the comics though, just some collected graphic novels, but I am still in love with the series, and when I was a kid I woke up hoping my x-genes had awoken more times than I can count/dare to admit to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the x-men show, to this day still one of the best animated superhero shows to date. Can't beat Beast or Wolverine. X-men have always been my favorite team.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh heck yes!! that theme song was a blast from my childhood!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Comic books are worthless? Did you check in ebay? My kids love Thomas and Mcqueen. Maybe after 3 or 4 years I may need to spend fortune on comic books.
    Comic books creates interest in reading and encourages creativity and sense of pride and confidence.
    And you are doing a good thing by donating yet you could save it for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the 90s animated series is what got me into x-men...i never understood jean grey's costume...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must feel badass to see that the things that used to make you happy are creating memories for others now. I wish I.. had stuff to give away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post makes me feel very old. I think I still have that issue in a box somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will try to keep up with these 2.0 comics. Hopefully I have the money to at least make a collection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 20 years.....

    Wow. I remember buying that issue. I remember getting home and reading it. I know where it is, in a cardboard box being protected with my other comic valuables. I could spend the next hour talking about all my memories with comics, cards, and toys. But I'm writing this on an iPhone.

    know that I enjoyed this post. Maybe I'll come back to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been a big comic fan, and I prefer marvel to DC if I had to pick. But X-men was the first comic I picked up, and had a lot of fun stuff over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love X-men. I've only read a few comics, but I watched the cartoons religiously.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm like you and bought this any many more issues for a while but have stopped now but may get this for nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Comic is good, But I prefer movie version

    ReplyDelete
  19. fuck yeah, wolverine is badass, we should all grow some mutton chops out of respect for wolvering

    ReplyDelete
  20. i remember watching the cartoons after school

    ReplyDelete
  21. i nver got into comics too much but i did love baseball cards.

    ReplyDelete
  22. yeah I also saw the series :) love X-men how nostalgic to see that bit lol the music!! awesome.
    as i grew up there weren't many comic books... you know there wasn't the option to read comic books, none of my friends had 'that thing'. comics are not a 'thing' in portugal.
    i never had much contact with comic books until very recently with ghost world and sandman.

    ReplyDelete