Thursday, October 13, 2011

#OCCUPYWALLSTREET/Refused

Serve and Protect...the banks.

Last February I dedicated a Refused track to the rebels in Egypt who were in the midst of revolution. Today I dedicate another Refused song to the #OCCUPYWALLSTREET movement. Despite what the intellectuals at Fox News and The Wall Street Journal would have you believe, this is a legitimate movement and not just a bunch of dirty hippies looking for trouble.

There are new protests taking place in different cities across the country. Yes it's unorganized. Yes their demands aren't crystal clear or 100% uniform but guess what, that's what happens when you're an entirely grassroots movement with truly diverse membership that allows everyone an equal voice in the proceedings. That, and they're operating on the fucking sidewalk/city park.

The #OCCUPY movement is still in it's infancy. Even if the protesters are violently snuffed out by the militarized police/gestapo units in their respective cities (which could happen) the seeds of change have already been planted. People > Corporate/Political Greed.

This is arguably my favorite Refused song. It still knocks me on my ass every time I hear it.
"They told me that the classics never go out of style, but they do, they do..."


Lyrics:
I got a bone to pick with capitalism and a few to break. Grab us by the throat and shake the life away. Human life is not commodity, figures, statistics or make believe. And yeah I like eating excrement and not getting paid for it. Play the guilt, play the fear and play the anxiety x2 Seduced by the opportunity and robbed of hope. Human suffering is not commodity, figures, statistics or make believe. Marginalise away the joy and sell us boredom. And yeah I like working doing nothing and not making anything. Blame the poor, blame the uneducated and blame the sick x2

I took the first bus out of Coca-Cola city cause it made me feel nauseous and shitty.I took the first bus out of Shell town cause they didn't want me hanging around. YEAH. YEAH. I took the first bus. Let's take the first bus out of here.

12 comments:

  1. I heart this post so much. I'm sick of people saying that #occupy is disorganized. Yeah, well, we all can't be funded by the Koch brothers..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all in favour of occupy wall street, and it really, really annoys me that the police are doing what they're doing. I've not heard one shred of violence being committed by anyone other than the police. I haven't flicked the song on yet, but the lyrics really do fit OWS at least. Hope it works well for the guys doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egypt, and whole of nothern africa needs a lot of change. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I support this movement! I think it is very important! My only wish is that more people cared.
    Its sad to see that most of the people out their in the streets are young. In the 70's the youth protested important things but now their in their 50's and don't seem to care about anything or stay informed on current topics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post once again buddy. I'm not too in tune as to what this Occupy Wall Street thing is but I support the premise of it at the very least. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a coincidence! I am doing a 99% post tomorrow! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of the occupy movement. The ones with money have got the power, the way it's been for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. stay strong #OCCUPYWALLSTREET.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's what the news is trying to sell? I'm glad I'm avoiding it.

    As for the song though, it fits perfect. It just fits right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you. These guys are making their voices heard and I applaud them for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like how people are complaining that it's not as organized as the tea party, considering the tea party rallies came to be organized and funded by fox news.

    ReplyDelete