Monday, October 17, 2011

Movie Review: Killer Elite


Don't worry. This review will be short and to the point. Do you like cheesy 80's action flicks? Then you'll love Killer Elite. Tough dudes beating the shit out of other tough dudes. Guns that never run out of ammo. Random explosions. Sickening displays of hand to hand (and groin) combat. Awesome novelty deaths. Occasional boobs on the screen. It's all there. Most of all, the film actually takes place in the 1980's! Yes, Killer Elite is actually a period piece. Who'd have thunk it?!

So the film is supposed to be based on actual, real life events but I highly doubt that. Either way, Jason Statham and DeNiro are badass assassin dudes whose team travels the world killing foos for money. Statham's character decides he's had enough and retires for a spell but he gets sucked back into the business Godfather III style when his homie/mentor (DeNiro) gets captured. Now Statham and his boys have to do some Mission Impossible type ish and take out some gnarly former SAS (British Special Forces) agents or DeNiro gets it. Should be easy enough for these alpha dog assassins but alas, Clive Owen, the epitome of badassery in this film, stands in their way. He's a former SAS nutjob himself and doesn't take too kindly when his buddies start pushing up daisies.

Gettin' Jiggy Wit It

The movie is fast paced, has lots of cool action sequences and doesn't completely insult your intelligence. Be warned, there are a lot of AWESOME displays of facial hair in this movie. Sideburns and mustaches galore! This is definelty a dude's movie if there ever was one. There's only like 3 women in the entire film and 2 of them are naked so you don't have to worry about that. DeNiro's performance is totally phoned in but even on his worst day, he's still friggin' DeNiro man. Clive Owen absolutely steals the show and he's the only character who's name I actually remembered (it's..."Spike"). This was actually the first Jason Statham staring vehicle I'd ever seen at the theater and must say, overall, I was pleased. Good job man. The 80's live on.

16 comments:

  1. stackham owns, i ll love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks like a great film. It's certainly my kind of film. I'm going to have to check this out real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a plan, will definitely look this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They may have well called this movie ACTION ACTION. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does look kind of fun and full of badassery. If I get in the mood for senseless violence I'll probably give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh, when I'm in the mood to be a mannly man. Maybe for a bros night in the future, though. That'd work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was short and to the point? I liked your review of the movie and I wanna go watch it but when I hear short and to the point I think: Tough guys gun fights and 2 of the 3 chicks get naked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be checking it out... but if it isn't any good.... you can expect a sternly written all caps COMMENT left here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An 80s action-packed period piece. You sold me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You lost me at 80's action.
    Clive Owen , Jason Statham ? Really? - These two are no better than Charlie Sheen.
    I am so not watching this movie.
    Thanks for the warning though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think they say "based on true events" with an emphasis one "based." Like batman could have been based on events of a police officer or something way out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay. that was a very good preview. now I'm so damn excited with the movie.

    Jason, gosh! I love his husky voice. ^_^ And I watch his every movie, even the ones with weird story lines. Clive Owen, well, he's not so bad at all. but I'm not much of a fan, but putting them together would surely be a great one to look forward to + De Niro..

    okay. I'm gonna have to check that out. ^_^

    thank you for this. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks quite interesting :) I might try and look it up :D

    ReplyDelete