Monday, October 10, 2011

R.I.P. Mikey Welsh

So it ain't so Mikey =/
Former Weezer bassist Mikey Welsh was found dead in his Chicago hotel room this weekend. He was only 40 years old. I've read reports that drugs might have been a factor but I really hope not. Welsh joined Weezer v2.0 in 1998, replacing original bass player Matt Sharp, played on the band's second self-titled album (aka The Green Album) that resurrected their career and then abruptly left the band in 2001 after suffering a nervous breakdown. He left the music business for good, spending the last decade reinventing himself as an artist and family man. R.I.P. sir.

16 comments:

  1. I was sad to hear about this whole thing when I read about it last night. It's especially strange that apparently he predicted his own death, including the place and the time on Twitter two weeks ago. It's all very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer, after that bus crash too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously? R.I.P you did great Mikey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sad, but Matt Sharp will always be my favorite Weezer bassist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that dampens the mood..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd heard about this. I will join you in mourning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not heard a thing about this... Thank you for bringing this story to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. god damn :(:( im sad. but thanks for the info. i didnt knew

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its always a shame when a musican dies. All the potential music they could have made: gone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. well thats odd, or i totally saw this one forum post to late. in the forum post someone was saying that rivers was predicting his own death and was writing out a will. not sure if this is related

    ReplyDelete